View Single Post
Old 11-11-2023, 02:16 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 11

Military Sacrifice

Civilians are not aware of the sacrifices made by military members. I underestimated the stress I would be under while I was serving. For my fellow service members, it is extraordinary that you're all doing this - that you've all done this. Because once I joined, I felt there was a huge disconnect between civilian life and military life.

When my son turned one year old, I was in officer training and I missed it. That's just one example of how military life is different from civilian life. I hadn’t understood that before the Air Force. For example, I'd work all day in the hospital taking care of patients, and then in the middle of the night I'd get a call for a drill: fake deployment. I'd have to put on my uniform and get my deployment bag and go through the stages and be up all night. Then I would work the next day all day in the hospital again without any sleep. It's just a never?ending commitment.

I used alcohol to cope with those sacrifices. But now I realize I need different tools to handle what is expected of me.

Today I will seek out healthy coping mechanisms when I encounter stress.

~Anonymous, U.S. Air Force, 1997?2000

Today's reading is from the book Leave No One Behind: Daily meditations for Military Service Members and Veterans in Recovery*
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: