View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 1

Quote of the Week

"Fake it ’til you make it."

If life is a self-fulfilling prophesy, then I used to believe my life was destined for failure. I always thought I had been dealt a bad hand: broken family; alcoholic, abusive father; poor education; menial jobs, and so on. And once I discovered alcohol, my downward spiral accelerated. I believed and acted as if my end would come quickly, and that it would be worse than I could imagine.

Thankfully, when I hit bottom, I stopped digging. I entered the program, and with the help of my sponsor and the Twelve Steps, I began uncovering, discovering, and discarding my old ideas. In limbo between who I had been and who I was yet to become, my sponsor suggested I “fake it until you make it.” When I didn’t believe the program would work for me, he suggested I act as if I did and to keep coming back. When I didn’t think I’d get a better job, he suggested I act as if I did and to suit up and show up and go on interviews. By taking a lot of contrary action, my life improved.

When it came to the God concept, I didn’t know if I could turn in the Academy Award–winning performance it would take to fake faith. But then my sponsor told me something I remember to this day. He said that he would rather live believing there was a God and then die to discover there wasn’t, than to live as if there wasn’t a God and die to find out there was. When I heard this, I made a decision to believe, and when my faith wavered, I faked it until I made it. It worked, and today I believe in God and that my life is destined for good. And if I ever doubt it, I just fake it until I make it.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote