Thread: Alive In Christ
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

Alive In Christ Part 05 - "E" Eternity in Our Hearts

by Gail Rodgers
I’ve said it. I’m sure you have, too. It goes something like this: “I’ll be happy when…”

• “we get the new curtains.”
  • “when I finish this course.”
  • “if I get that new job.”
  • “when the kids are in school.”
  • “when I find that special ‘someone.”
And so it goes, with true happiness always just around the next corner. Sound familiar? What is it you are longing for today?
We long for something, in the tomorrow of our lives, that will bring the fulfillment that may be lacking in our today. There is a reason for that. Ecclesiastes 3:11 says:
“God has also set eternity in the hearts of men.”
God created you with eternity in your heart. He created each of us with a longing for the tomorrow of eternity, and only the things of eternity will fill that longing.
What are the things of eternity that we can look for today to fulfill that longing? God’s ways are not complicated. He said we needed to come to Him as children, so that means the explanation for this longing in our hearts must be simple. Eternity for God’s children will be filled with the glory of God. And the glory of God is simply who God is. How exactly is that a part of our daily life and the longings we have? Very simply put, we show who God is as we live our life, and as we live in a way that reveals His character we will live with the fulfillment of eternity in our hearts.
We show who God is by loving others.When we encounter difficult or unlovable people, we show God’s character by offering love that we get first from Him. You will be surprised at the joy in your heart when you give God’s love away.
We show who God is by serving others. Remember when Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, even when He knew within hours Judas would betray Him and Peter would deny Him? When He finished washing, He told them all, “Happy are you if you do this for one another” (John 13). Jesus knew the fulfillment we would find in serving each other. If it’s been awhile since you served someone, just to show who God is, find a way today and see that longing in your heart for eternity met in some small way.
We show who Jesus is by our character. Living a life of integrity in all things will bring a deep satisfaction to your soul. Lack of integrity always carries an expensive price tag.
We show who God is as we live like Jesus would. Inviting Him into how you feel, think and act will change your days and your life.Changing your priorities will require choosing differently and not always easily, but Jesus will give you everything you need to live for Him.
“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he as given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires” (2 Peter1:3,4).
Today let your life declare the glory of God. Live in such a way that every area of your life declares, “That’s who God is!” You will find a taste of the longing for eternity that God himself put in your heart.

prayer & reflection

Father God,
May my life be lived for Your pleasure and to show who You are. There are those who see my life who need to know who You are and how to have a changed life by Your power. Remind me every time I hear the phrase, “the glory of God,” that it means to simply show who You are.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: