Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Feelings

Feelings Part 01 - Changed by the Spirit

by Gail Rodgers
So many Christians that I’ve talked to recently are not experiencing the power of God in their lives. In different ways they share how life has become dull and grey and their days tend to ebb away with busy activity. Several have used the word “frenzied”. Oh, their faith is still intact, yet their lives lack that dynamic sense of energy and enthusiasm and purposefulness that is the birthright of God’s children.

I’ve thought and prayed about it lately because some days I feel it too. God nudged me to look again at the Holy Spirit; the Helper He gives every believer. The Holy Spirit in our lives offers us the power to be able to live above the frenzy with purpose and enthusiasm and divine energy.
Let’s encourage one another to tap into the enabling power the Lord intended for us to live in.
Let’s become people more dynamic in our faith and victorious in our walk.
The role of the Holy Spirit is to transform us to become more like Jesus; to be filled with the fresh dynamic of His power, willing to undergo the changes He may ask us to make; ready to grapple with our part in spreading the Gospel with energy and purposefulness.
Paul, that dedicated world changing follower of Jesus, understood this and was led by the Holy Spirit to urge others to offer themselves to God as an act of worship. The invitation and instruction remains for you and I today.
“Do not be conformed any longer to the pattern of this word, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Romans 12:2
Peter was another follower who understood the dynamic of following Jesus. He talks to those of the faith and encourages us in much the same way.
“Prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. ...For you know that it was not with perishable things such a silver and gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you form your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ…”
1Peter 1: 13-18
The first step in our journey of exploring the Holy Spirit in our lives is to allow our minds to be transformed and our hope set fully on the grace that redeemed us from an empty way of life. Join me as we remind one another that it all begins with the way we think.
prayer & reflection

Holy Father,
I need You. Teach me more about Your Holy Spirit. I offer myself to You as my act of worship. Transform my mind. Help me to be self-controlled. Enable me to look beyond the distractions of this life. Show me afresh the dynamics of life filled with Your power as I grow in understanding my part in Your work.
In Jesus’ powerful name I ask this, amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 02 - Feeling Overwhelmed

by Gail Rodgers
When tragedy strikes…does God care?
We watch our TV screens in horror. The pain and agony of fellow human beings in the midst of all kinds of disaster goes beyond our comprehension. We grapple with the magnitude of it. Our minds scramble to make sense of it and we simply cannot. Opinions fly from every side. “Its God’s judgment”, some say. Others say,” It’s a sign of the end times”. “It’s a test from God”, claim some. Still others say, “God has nothing to do with it”. Some declare, “There is no God”, while others say “God is cruel and heartless”.

Just where is God when hardship or disaster strikes? Whether it comes wreaking havoc in our private world or whether we see it in mammoth proportions on our TV screen, we can’t help but question and wonder.
Does God care when the tidal waves of life sweep in unexpectedly and tear at the very fiber of our being with inexpressible grief?
The answer is “yes”!
Yet, to find the comfort He offers we must first get past the questions.
When Jesus walked this earth He told His followers that in this world there would be trouble. Since the beginning of time there has been struggle on this earth. Germs and weeds; storms and insects; people problems, money problems, disease…
From God’s Word we know that God set things in motion on this earth. He gave us a choice to include Him in our lives…or to live independent of Him.
  • Sometimes our troubles are the result of our own choices and have brought their own consequences to our daily lives.
  • Sometimes the free will choices of others impact our lives in a hard way.
  • Sometimes we may face spiritual battle and need to take our stand in the mighty strength of Jesus.
  • From God’s Word we know that sometimes God does send judgment.
  • Sometimes He does allow the testing of our faith.
When we find ourselves appalled at the overwhelming things happening in life we often cannot determine the reason. It may be the world and the forces of nature set in motion at the foundation of the world; it may be consequences of our own flesh and choices we have made; it may the choices others have made; it may be spiritual opposition from the enemy of our soul or it may come from the very hand of God.
We can agonize over the possibilities as we seek to answer the heart wrenching, “Why?” Yet we cannot fathom God nor can we always determine the answer to the difficult “why?” even though we desperately try.
The hope that we have in times of severe circumstances and agonizing grief is the knowledge that God does care and He will help us through. He promises to redeem the broken places in our lives and bring good from them as we invite Him into the hard places and the unanswered questions.
Often our unanswered questions leave us blaming God and we distance ourselves from the very One who can bring comfort to the anguished heart.
We know God sees everything that happens to us. Nothing is a surprise to Him. We wish He would intervene and stop the pain. We wish children did not die and loved ones were not lost. The consequence of sin in our world and man’s free will choice to often leave God out brings destruction in various ways. As our lives play out on planet Earth we find ourselves with a choice to make.
We can believe God is a God of love OR we can turn from Him in anger. We can believe that His heart is always for us OR we can believe He is cruel and mean. Running TO Him in the midst of our anguish will take us into His arms of comfort. Pushing Him away will leave us alone with only desperation in our souls.
The main theme running through the Bible is God’s great love for us. Over and over He tells us that He sent His son, Jesus, to this earth to heal broken hearts. Even King David, known to be a man after God’s heart, went through times of great tears to the point that those around him questioned, “Where is your God?” (Psalm 42) Yet he also knew how the Lord took note of his anguish and recorded his tears. (Psalm 56:8) He ran to God for strength in his despair.
When we simply cannot understand the twists and turns of our path, we CAN run to the One who will anchor us. He doesn’t promise our lives will be free of trouble, yet He does promise to hold us close through it all.
Never doubt God’s love and care for you. He hurts when you hurt. His son, Jesus, went up the agonizing hill to the cross and understands the deep anguish the soul can plunge to. That’s why we can trust Him to be with us in our times of overwhelming stress.
  • God continually calls us to come to Him with our burdens and find rest for our souls. (Matthew 11:28 & 29)
  • He invites us to cast our worries on Him because He cares. (1 Peter 5:7)
  • He invites us to come to His throne and ask for mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)
  • He will be our Comforter in sorrow when our heart is faint (Jeremiah 8:18)
  • He offers strength when we are weak (Philippians 4:13)
  • He heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds (Psalm 147:3)
When our minds cannot comprehend the tragic events we find ourselves in… our hearts can reach to the God of all Comfort to find the strength we need to get through today and to know that there will be hope for tomorrow.
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” (2 Corinthians 1:3 & 4).
prayer & reflection

Father in Heaven,
Thank you that You know the questions in my heart today. Thank you that You love me and promise to redeem my life from the pit as I call on You to hold me and help me. Today I choose to run TO You in my pain and not from You. Bring Your peace to my heart. Lead my feet in the right way to go. Shelter me in Your love today and guide me.
I ask this in the powerful name of Jesus with thanksgiving, amen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 03 - Feeling Distant from God

by Gail Rodgers
“Shipwrecked Faith”! The words painted a picture in my mind as they jumped out at me from the pages of 1 Timothy 1. These are drastic words!

Here Paul was warning young Timothy to guard against false teachers who promote controversies rather than God’s work.
He tells this young leader to teach love which flows from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith.
Twice he warns that wandering from these things will lead to meaningless talk and eventually to shipwrecked faith.
It’s a pretty simple formula. Keep a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith and love will flow from you.
Reject these things and you are in danger of shipwrecking your faith.
What an excellent check point for our faith walk with Jesus.
Whenever we feel our faith wavering or weak, or when we recognize a wandering in our hearts that could take us away from our God, we can use these to help keep us from the danger zone of “ship wrecked faith”.
Keep a pure heart
Ask yourself if there is any area in your heart where impurity is creeping in? It’s subtle. Ask yourself a few questions:
  • Are my motives pure in the relationships I put my time into?
  • What kind of a diet do the movies and TV shows I watch give me?
  • Do my thoughts reflect areas where I need to ask for God’s help?
  • Do words come from my lips that need checking?
  • Am I willing to ask God for a pure heart?
Keep a good conscience
(That inner sense of knowing right from wrong.)
  • Are there areas in my life where I willing choose wrong from right?
  • Am I willing to ask for God’s forgiveness and help in these areas?
  • When something bothers my conscience do I push it down or examine it and go to God for strength?
  • Am I willing to allow God to touch my conscience?
Keep a sincere faith
  • Is my faith a part of my everyday life or is it a panic button in trouble?
  • Is my faith the center of my life?
  • Am I willing to put time and effort into growing my faith?
  • Am I willing to meet with fellow believers to keep my faith edge sharp?
Often we settle for a “wandering faith” where we know the pull of our lives is subtly drawing us away from God. Yet the end of that is not where we want to go. It draws us away from the mercy and grace of our Lord and toward controversies and doubts.
Paul encourages Timothy to fight the good fight of faith and to be on guard for his faith.
Do you need to fight for your faith today and make some changes in your own heart? Shipwrecks don’t get to where they were headed but end up on the rocks.
God’s plans for you are good. His peace is there for the taking. Nothing is worth it that draws you away from Him and your faith. Don’t let the subtle erosion of your heart lead you to where you don’t want to go.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
How wonderful that You give us check points to guard our faith and to safeguard our hearts. The way of the world is subtle. Help me to daily mind my heart so that I keep purity and good conscience in focus. Thank you that You never wag Your finger at me but lovingly call my name to draw near to You. May I keep short accounts with You and may my heart be drawn to times in prayer, time in Your word and time with fellow believers, so that my faith may remain secure and strong. Thank you that You love me and desire only the very best for me.
I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 04 - Feeling Fearful

by Gail Rodgers
Your heart is the well-spring of all of your life. It is the place from which your reactions, your attitudes, your actions all bubble up from. All that you are as you walk through this day, with whatever it holds, will spring from your heart. That’s why God tells us specifically to guard that well-spring.

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23
We are wise to check what is residing in that well-spring. Among the many things we find in our hearts there will always be one of two very specific things in the lead.
Faith or Fear. One will always be on the top of the heap. They cannot both occupy the same place. If faith resides there your well-spring will pour out peace and confidence in God’s care for you, even in the midst of uncertain times.
If fear resides there anxiety and depression will be the natural outward flow.
Faith or Fear. Every day we choose. Many times a day we choose.
When the evening news brings signs of foreboding unemployment, financial crisis and uncertainty tomorrow, fear is the natural response. That well-spring will pour forth worry and stress. When relationships are on edge and illness or hardship looms, anxiety churns within us creating it’s own downward cycle.
Faith over-rides Fear. Fear over-rides Faith.
God tells us exactly what to do when fear grips our hearts and takes over our minds. Left unchecked it will scatter our faith like confetti in the wind and leave us anchorless in the storms of life.
Listen to God’s very specific instruction from Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV).
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
What a simple formula! Not easy – but simple. Worry is a call to prayer. The moment you become aware of that churning anxiety over ANYTHING, go immediately to your Heavenly Father. Present your requests to Him. Then turn your thoughts and prayers to thanksgiving. Thank Him for His promise to never forsake you. Thank Him for the power of His name and for His intimate knowledge of every detail. Thank Him for His track record in your life when He has been there for you in the past. Thank Him that He works all things together for your good as you trust Him. Thank Him that He is at work establishing His kingdom in your life.
Your faith and trust in God will over-ride your fear and His peace will actually put a guard around your heart and mind so fear cannot over run you. It’s supernatural and it’s real.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I confess that fear is often my first response to challenges that come my way. May I be conscious today of choosing to trust You with every detail of my life. Help me to have faith to leave the question marks in Your control and to trust You to carry me and sustain me with your peace that is beyond understanding. Today I choose to put my trust in You.
Fill my heart with child like faith today I ask in the strong name of Jesus, amen.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 05 - Feeling Vulnerable

by Gail Rodgers
She turned the TV off and headed to the bedroom. The news events of this past year continued to leave her feeling unsettled. Vulnerable…yes that was it! Vulnerable in a way she had never felt before. She shook the thought aside. She had enough to think about right now. Tomorrow she had an important business presentation to do. The day would be tight with clients and the kid’s schedules. Homework, bills, the list was endless. She checked the kids, laid out a few things and turned out the lights.

But again, sleep did not come easy. News images of the past year haunted her. The unstable markets made her stomach churn with worry over the bit they had managed to save for the kid’s future education. Should they even take that holiday over Christmas?
She tossed and turned and reprimanded herself. Foolish to worry. Yet this strange vulnerability seemed to have left her soul adrift on a sea of anxiety that was always just below the surface. Keeping busy helped, but the quiet moments at the end of the day brought questions with no answers.
She knew that others across the world were grappling with this same helpless feeling of vulnerability. Political, economic, religious issues surfaced across the globe daily leaving so many vulnerable in ways they had never imagined. She knew she was not alone.
She turned on the light and wondered into the living room. She looked over the bookshelf for something to busy her mind until sleep came. Her eyes fell on her Grandmother’s Bible. It was old and nearly falling apart. Grandma had used it well. She picked it up and leafed through the fragile pages. Her eyes fell upon one verse after another underlined in red. She had always felt a little too educated for Grandmother’s simple faith, yet the words were comforting.
“Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you” Psalm 55:12
“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield…” Psalm 91:4
“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” Hebrews 6:19
Grandmother’s days had been uncertain too. Her life had not been easy. She had been a war bride and had experienced much loss. There had been stories of both joy and sadness. Oh the issues of the day would have been different. But these verses, outlined in red, showed that Grandmother had felt vulnerable too. Was Grandmother’s faith and Grandmother’s God still able to sustain and comfort and be an anchor for her soul too? An anchor for her soul. She desperately wanted that…desperately needed that.
She hadn’t prayed since she was a little girl and the words came haltingly, unfamiliar. “Oh God, I need an anchor for my soul. I feel anything but firm and secure. Please sustain me, keep me in the midst of uncertainty, be my refuge and help me to know your faithfulness in the way my Grandmother did. Anchor me Lord. I need you.”
She turned out the light. A peace settled over her unsettled soul and she determined to learn more of the God of her Grandmother, more of this Anchor for her soul. And she slept.
prayer & reflection

Lord God,
I realize that feeling vulnerable is actually a form of fear. In the name of Jesus I give you my fear and ask for Your peace to shelter me as I rest under Your wing. Anchor my soul and give wisdom to my mind and strength to my body.
Amen.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 06 - Feeling in Need of Encouragement

by Gail Rodgers
The unexpected rose on her desk made her smile. The note said, “Knock their socks off”. Sue’s friend knew she was giving an important presentation and that simple act of support gave her a burst of confidence.

We all need encouragement…sometimes we even need it desperately.
Maggie tossed her purse on the counter and kicked off her shoes. The pink slip had come as a complete surprise. What was she going to do? Discouragement settled over her like a blanket.
We all face those moments, hours or even days when our hearts take a nosedive and our world looks bleak. A word or an act of encouragement has the ability to lift our hearts and our spirits. Encouragement is like a lifeline on days we feel we are sinking. Learning the art of encouraging others builds within us a reservoir of hope, which helps hold us when we need a lift in our own heart.
Encourage someone today and you yourself will be encouraged. The Art of Encouragement has three main avenues.
1. Giving Support
Look for ways to come alongside those in your life and affirm them in what they are doing. Become a cheerleader for those you love as they move through life stretching to meet new opportunities. A phone call or card can say you notice the hard work they are putting in. Actively look for ways to polish up the creativity and efforts of those in your circle as they seek to grow.
Recently my daughter gave me a card that said, “I see how much you put your heart into your work…” That simple acknowledgement encouraged me to keep going. Never underestimate the value of sincere recognition.
2. Showing Honor
Take note of character qualities in people. Watch for courage, strength, wisdom, patience, cheerfulness, honesty, compassion, kindness and gentleness. When you find yourself noticing an admirable quality in another human being take the time to acknowledge it. Be especially ready to polish up these values in those nearest and dearest to you. It will make a difference in your relationship.
It is never too late to recognize and honor the character traits you admire. The other day my mom answered the door and there stood a man with two dozen roses. He said “Fifty years ago this month two fine people took in 3 children who really needed help. Your kindness and love have never been forgotten.” He was one of those three children. My mom and dad were really touched and felt so honored by this gentleman.
3. Bringing Hope
The third level in the Art of Encouragement is that of giving hope. When hard times come and discouragement settles over the soul, a word of hope can keep one pressing on. A word of hope says, “You’ll make it through.” A word of hope says, “I believe in you.” A word of hope says, “God is with you and will help you”.
Hope coupled with faith in God is a mighty power in our lives. Hope in ourselves alone just isn’t enough when the journey of life gets hard. Hope in God and in His power and strength to meet our needs is true encouragement for the soul. Hope in God is the anchor that holds us in the storms of life.
In God’s Guidebook for Life, The Bible, He says, “Encourage one another daily…”. He knows how much we need it. Ask Him to help you develop the Art of Encouragement and in turn be encouraged yourself.
“Encourage one another daily…” (Hebrews 3:13)
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 07 - Feeling Filled

by Gail Rodgers
I love the picture painted for us in the account of Jesus’ very first miracle when He turned water into wine at the wedding feast in Cana of Galilee.

“Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine…” John 2:6-9
The very story of Easter is embedded in this telling of the miracle. Imagine the heavy, cold stone jars, laboriously filled with water by the servants. Imagine the ceremonial washing that took place as the water from these jars was poured out in cleansing rituals as the Israelites followed the rules of the old covenant to purify themselves before God.
Then imagine the wedding goers astonishment as Jesus called for these jugs to be filled and then changed the contents from water to rich wine! Wine is often used as a symbol of life and of the Holy Spirit throughout Scripture. Here, at Jesus very first miracle, we see the amazing symbolism of exchanging not just one element for another, but the exchanging of something much deeper. Our own efforts to become holy and clean before our loving God are exchanged for His forgiveness. His blood is the only cleansing we need. His filling of new life, through the power of the Holy Spirit, is complete and right “to the brim”.
The thoughtful examination of the details of this amazing miracle are brought to light by author Doug Emberley in his book “Simply Water to Wine?”
Yes, Jesus death bought our forgiveness at the cross and His resurrection brought us new life filled with the power of the Holy Spirit. There is no room to add our own good works to try to earn the forgiveness that Jesus brings! No. His work alone brings the new life our hearts hunger and thirst for. He fills us to the brim as we believe and receive His gift of forgiveness and allow the Holy Spirit to fill us – right to the brim of our lives!
prayer & reflection

Lord Jesus,
Refresh my heart with the truth of Your sacrifice in death and with a new realization of the power that is mine through Your resurrection. Thank you that what You did is complete and “filled to the brim”; I need only believe and receive.
In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.
Question: Who can you share the life changing story of Jesus with this year? Won’t you begin praying for them right now? Make a commitment on the blog today to pray for someone you desire to come to know Jesus life giving power and forgiveness.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 08 - Feeling Grief

by Gail Rodgers
Grieving is a unique experience. It’s a process that is as individual as the people it affects. Oh yes, there are predictable stages… but the experience of losing someone dear to you is truly a very personal journey.

Recently I said goodbye to my dear Dad. It’s hard to believe it was only a couple of months ago. I’ve processed a lot in those few weeks. I’ve felt many different emotions.
In the process I have discovered a tool that has helped me. It might be a good tool for anyone facing the loss of someone dear.
I specifically and intentionally set out to uncover the treasures that have been deposited into my life through my Dad. I wanted to discover just what I was going to specifically take with me, from my Dad, as I walk on now without him.
I see more clearly that the passing of years and the living of life come as a gift to us all. The important thing is not so much that we begin well, nor even the tales of how well we navigate the twists and turns of life. The important thing is that we end well… that those who come behind us find some light on their path because we have lived. We bring nothing into this world and we take nothing with us when we go. But we each leave something behind in a legacy to follow.
I’ve mined out 4 nuggets of wisdom from the legacy my Dad left. I want to make them part of my daily life, as my treasures from him.
1. HUMOR
Dad loved a good joke, ( and often a corny one!), he was quick witted and could make anyone laugh, putting people immediately at ease.
Humor was important to Dad and many moments were lightened by his sense of humor. Even the Home Care workers would remark how his sense of humor was intact even though he lay paralyzed from the waist down for months.
I remember one worker coming in and asking, “So what do you know tonight, Sir?” Dad quickly replied, “Well, I know more and more about less and less and pretty soon I’ll know everything about nothing.”
As we walk on we take the wisdom with us of looking on the lighter side of life… of seeking to bring a smile to the face of another and to laugh more often… even when life is hard.
2. COURAGE
Dad always took his illnesses in stride; he rarely talked about his health, never complained about it and he just did what he had to do and carried on. His courage, as he faced his treatments amazed us over and over. We hope to take that same courage into the challenges of our own lives as we journey on. Courage includes finding joy in simple things even in the face of adversity.
3. FAMILY MAN
Dad worked hard. He provided well. They say the greatest thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother. And Dad modeled that well. He and Mom enjoyed 63 years of marriage. We are grateful to God for enabling Mom to keep Dad home until his last breath. We grew up seeing Dad love and honor his wife. Even in these last weeks, often when Mom would walk into his room he’d say, “Isn’t she beautiful!” He truly treasured her. So we take with us that wisdom of treasuring those you love and letting them know it.
As children and grandchildren we are deeply grateful for the heritage of love that Mom and Dad have given us. We want to keep that long line of love growing even longer in a world that is quickly loosing sight of that kind of faithfulness.
4. FAITH
Dad leaves us a heritage of faith. Dad believed in God and accepted Jesus Christ as his personal saviour. He was never very verbal about his faith. He didn’t lead Bible studies or pray eloquent prayers, yet his faith was there and he showed it through his generous heart toward missionaries and his many willing acts of service to others. He quietly served for 50 years as the offering counter at church; he was always there to plaster a hole in the church wall or put on a fresh coat of paint. Faith made a difference in our home as we were growing up and it makes a difference in our lives today because of Dad and Mom’s example.
In these last months we would often draw a Bible verse from their verse box at bedtime and read it together and say a night-time prayer. One night when I was there Dad’s simple but profound prayer was this… “Lord, thank you for all the good things You allow in our lives.” His gratitude to God, even as he lay there motionless in his bed, spoke volumes to us.
Keeping these treasures from Dad close at heart will help me as I journey on.
Always remember to keep your sense of humor.
Live courageously even in the face of challenge.
Treasure those you love and let them know it.
Have faith in God.

If you have lost someone you love… take the time to mine out a nugget or two that you can identify and embrace and carry close to your heart along with their memories.
I found it a helpful way to face the loss, find the treasure and walk on more whole because my Dad lived. I pray it may help you too as you face your loss. God bless you.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

Feelings Part 09 - Feeling Uncertain

by Gail Rodgers
It always amazes me how God’s word speaks directly to the situations of life today. This week God underlined His clear directives for us in uncertain times.

Every one of us faces uncertainty of some kind as we walk through life. It varies for each of us in the details yet God’s directive is clear and direct for each one of us.
Five little verses in 1 Peter 4:7-10 give us specific steps to take in uncertain times as we await Christ’s return.
“Be clear minded and self controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in it’s various forms.” 1 Peter 4:7-10
1. Be clear minded
Stay focused on God and His strength and power. Look above the circumstances to His might and trust Him.
2. Be self-controlled
Pay attention to what is happening within your heart and mind and choose to dwell on the power of the Holy Spirit to help steady you. He will give you the power not to lean on unhealthy solutions in uncertain times.
3. Pray
Acknowledge God in every area of your life. Invite Him to come into your finances, your relationships, the question marks in your future and dialogue with Him about the uncertainties. Be sure to listen back to what He says by reading His word. This is not the time to allow dust to settle on your Bible.
4. Be hospitable
Look for ways to pleasantly offer hospitality to those around you. It may not always be in the conventional way of having someone into your home or sharing food. Hospitality is extending welcome, warmth and generosity in kindness. Greet your world in a friendly manner.
5. Serve others
In times of uncertainty it is easy to become self focused. Keep an attitude that looks out for others. It will enlarge your heart in ways nothing else can.
In following these 5 simple directives today you will be pouring out God’s grace, not only to those around you, but into your own heart as well. You will be lifted up above the shadows of uncertainty.
God knows that these 5 steps will take us a long way in experiencing His wonderful grace to hold us steady and to share that grace with the world around us. Name your uncertainty and pray the following prayer.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
You are amazing in the clarity You give us as to how to live. Today the uncertainty of __________ weighs on my heart. Please help me to stay focused on You today, to choose to rely on the power of Your Spirit within me, to pray about everything and to look beyond myself to offer kindness and love to those around me who also are experiencing their own uncertain times. Thank you that You give us all we need to walk today right where we are. Thank you that tomorrow You will again provide all I need. May I live in this day and in this moment sheltered in Your love.
In the strong name of Jesus I pray with thanksgiving, amen.
Post New ThreadReply