Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Recovery Topics and Questions

Share This Forum!  

Recovery Topics and Questions Post all recovery related topics and questions that you have here for discussion.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Topic of the week, words beginning with the letter "N"

N is for Newcomer. They say in the rooms of recovery that newcomers are the most important people in the room. They have a great message to carry for me. It isn't any better out there and I have NO desire to go back out there.

As I heard a girl in CA say, "When I go to a meeting, I go as a newcomer." I am more open to new things.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
dwmoeller

N is for No must in AA, but there are a lot of "you darned well betters."

All the literature and traditions of the fellowship of AA are gentle, nonjudgmental, and persuasive. There aren't any must. There are no "Thou Shalt Nots" in the AA Big Book or the Twelve and Twelve. AA members and AA groups are free to do as they wish. AA, which is more than 50 years old, is a distillation of the experiences, good and bad, of millions of people. So when the wisdom of AA or the group conscience recommends not doing something or not going somewhere, you are well advised not to do it or not to go there. It is worthwhile listening to the fellowship, because there there is no problem, no situation, and no feeling you may experience that many people before you haven't already experienced and survived sober. "Stick with the winners" remains very good advice, even if what the winners do doesn't quite seem to be your cup of tea at the moment.

Dave

dwmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dwmoeller For Sharing:
Old 10-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
dwmoeller

N is for Nobody

Nobody is like you. You're special...you're rare...you're special. Realize that it is no accident that you're special and that God made you special for a purpose. He must have a job for you that no one else can do as well as you.

Dave

Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for Nothing. Nothing can stand between me and my God in today. Anything that I am compulsive/obsessive about in today, because my 'god' and blocks me from the true Living Spirit.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 10-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
dwmoeller

N is for New -

On my journey of sobriety, I have gained much:

a New outlook on life.
a New found sense of humor.
a New appreciation of the little things in life that are so often taken for granted.
a New attitude of gratitude, getting rid of the negativity.

Dave

Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for Negative. Change it! I firmly believe a negative is seldom all negative, there is positive to be found if we but look for it. We have to get by the negative that offends us and look for the goodness. I also believe that something isn't all positive, there can be a negative twist to it somewhere, again we will find it if we look for it and focus on it instead of living in the positive. All is subject to change. When I say I can't, there is a good chance that I won't. If I say I can, then there is a good chance that I will succeed. A lot is how we look at it and how open our mind is.

When we look at this picture, what do we see? The darkness, the light, or the bear? I see what looks to be sad eyes on the bear.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 10-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for Nice. Play nice. This is a family disease. There are meetings for everyone. AA, NA, Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, Adult Children of Alcoholics. Many swear off the drug of choice of their parents or that of their spouse, so they end up qualifying for Gamblers Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous (for under eaters too), and then there are the groups for specific drugs like Crack/Cocaine, Meth, and Marijuana. Sorry, not sure if that is spelled right. I think I have a stumbling block about that drug, I have been sick from the smell of it so many times.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for New. Each day is a new beginning. We can let go of the frustration of yesterday, take with us the positive into the day and savor it and then let it go too. You don't want to miss on your present in the now, by focusing on your past.

We can't forget what it was like when we were young.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for Nice. It is not a word I like, especially when I remember the old saying, "Play nice children." Words from my mother to my two sisters and myself playing in the farm.

To be a nice person, was completely foreign to me when I was using. It sounded kind of whoossie. Not that I got called it very often, so I shouldn't complain. I try to be a nice person, good to others as I would have them be onto me.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:14 AM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for "No!" "No!" is a complete sentence. You don't have to explain why you are saying it. You don't have to barter for what you need or don't need. We don't say, "Yes!" when we mean "NO!"

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for "Not working the program." It isn't about 'the' program, it is about your program. What have you found that works for you? Are you staying sober on your program or do you need to add a few meetings, maybe some food for the mind and spirit? If you tried to get sober the way I did, you may have gone out and got drunk a long time ago. What do you need for your program in the now? Maybe it needs tweaking.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #15
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

N is for Never forget. Never forget where you come from. Remember what it was like prior to recovery. If you are thinking of have a drink, play the tape to the end. Look at where a drink will take you. The best way to get out of self is to help others. Remember what it was like in early recovery. Never think you are fixed. This isn't a quick fix program. It is something that we work on daily, one addict sharing with another addict. Alcohol is a drug.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply