Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Today's Thought - August (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31425)

bluidkiti 08-16-2023 06:16 AM

August 16

AA Thought for the Day

"Unless we discuss our defects with another person, we do not acquire enough humility, fearlessness, and honesty to really get the program. We must be entirely honest with somebody, if we expect to live happily in this world. We must be hard on ourselves, but always considerate of others. We pocket our pride and go to it, illuminating every twist of character and every dark cranny of the past. Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we can look the world in the eyes." Have I discussed all my defects with another person?
Meditation for the Day

Never yield to weariness of the spirit. At times, the world's cares and distractions will intrude, and the spirit will become weak. At times like this, carry on and soon the spirit will become strong again. God's spirit is always with you, to replenish and renew. None ever sincerely sought God's help in vain. Physical weariness and exhaustion make a time of rest and communion with God more necessary. When you are overcome by temporary conditions that you cannot control, keep quiet and wait for the power of the spirit to flow back.
Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may not speak or act in the midst of emotional upheaval. I pray that I may wait until the tempest is past.

Today's reading is from the book Twenty-Four Hours a Day: A Spiritual Resource with Practical Applications for Daily Life*

bluidkiti 08-17-2023 06:15 AM

August 17

Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.

~African proverb

Only by meeting many different conditions and being challenged by problems do we develop great skill in dealing with life. We say a man is soft who has always had everything handed to him. We admire a man who has met great challenges and come through them. However, while we are struggling and when the challenges are really on top of us, we may not feel that we are in the midst of some admirable battle. We are more likely to simply feel burdened and stressed, not knowing what the outcome will be.

When the sailor is in the midst of the storm, he focuses intently on what he has to do right now. He learns to read the wind and the waves in these extreme conditions by being there and by learning from others who are more experienced. That is a model for developing our skills on this sea of life.

Today, I will focus on what I need to do just for today, and I will learn from those who are more experienced than I am.

Today's reading is from the book Stepping Stones: More Daily Meditations for Men*

bluidkiti 08-18-2023 05:52 AM

August 18

Connecting to Compassion

In her book Befriending Your Body: A Self-Compassionate Approach to Freeing Yourself from Disordered Eating, my friend Ann Saffi Biasetti offers an amazing perspective on compassion. Ann acknowledges that people in early recovery don't find it easy to feel self-compassion. When we embark on our healing journeys, we may not even know what compassion is, let alone feel worthy of giving it to ourselves.

In these cases, Ann suggests, we can start by looking outside of ourselves to find compassion, and then take it in. She calls this "building compassion from the outside in." We can do this by acknowledging the people around us who care about us, or we can be inspired by a song that stirs compassion or books that focus on compassion. Connecting with these external sources of compassion and focusing on what is outside of us can, as Ann reminds us, awaken what is inside of us.

We can invite compassion into our lives, embrace it, and then shower it upon ourselves.

Today's reading is from the book She Recovers Every Day: Meditations for Women*

bluidkiti 08-19-2023 06:41 AM

August 19

Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace.

~Anonymous

How hard it often seems to quiet our mind so we can experience the present. We know that we’re missing God’s message now when we're obsessively caught in thoughts of another time. But too often we allow them to plague us anyway.

We're not failures if we need to repeatedly remind ourselves to be quiet, but we may think we are. It might be well for each of us to observe a small child who is learning to walk. She stumbles and falls and tries again and again, often with peals of laughter.

We, too, are children trying to master a new skill. That we didn't learn how to quiet our mind in earlier years is unimportant. We're here, now, and the opportunity to practice this skill will present itself many times today. And we will become proficient at knowing peace - with practice.

Today I'll willingly quiet my mind rather than let my thoughts carry me astray.

Today's reading is from the book In God's Care: Daily Meditations on Spirituality in Recovery*

bluidkiti 08-20-2023 06:37 AM

August 20

Using the phone

There are times when it seems that nothing can stop us from reaching for that first fix, pill, or drink. At times like these, it helps to reach for the phone.

Regardless of the time, day or night, we need to call our sponsor or another addict in recovery. It's critical to call them before, not after, we use. Many are the times that such a call has saved all we have gained in the program.

Do I make good use of the phone?

Higher Power, may I not feel too shy or embarrassed to use the phone when in need.

Today I will call...

Today's reading is from the book Day by Day: Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts*

bluidkiti 08-21-2023 06:41 AM

August 21

Accept Life as It Comes

Acceptance is a big part of my recovery. It's given me peace. When I don't accept things, I hold on to this perception of the what if?

Today when I accept whatever I encounter in life, I get this sense of joy and peace that I used to struggle to attain. I just accept life - what it is today. I don't boast about the gifts that I get back in my life. In sobriety, I get to see the good in my life. Sobriety means accepting life as it comes and being able to move forward in your day. Today I'm very content. This is what my life has developed into.

Today I will move toward acceptance, peace, and joy.

~John F., U.S. Air Force, 1985–1996

Download recovery support apps for your Apple or Android device today.

Today's reading is from the book Leave No One Behind: Daily meditations for Military Service Members and Veterans in Recovery*

bluidkiti 08-22-2023 05:31 AM

August 22

Reflection for the Day

We've been our own worst enemies most of our lives, and we've often injured ourselves seriously as a result of a "justified" resentment over a slight wrong. Doubtless there are many causes for resentment in the world, most of them providing "justification." But we can never begin to settle all the world's grievances or even arrange things so as to please everybody. If we've been treated unjustly by others or simply by life itself, we can avoid compounding the difficulty by completely forgiving the persons involved and abandoning the destructive habit of reviewing our hurts and humiliations. Can I believe that yesterday's hurt is today's understanding, rewoven into tomorrow's love?
Today I Pray

Whether I am unjustly treated or just think I am, may I try not to be a resentful person, stewing over past injuries. Once I have identified the root emotion behind my resentment, may I be big enough to forgive the person involved and wise enough to forget the whole thing.
Today I Will Remember

Not all injustice can be fixed.

Today's reading is from the book A Day at a Time: Daily Reflections for Recovering People*

bluidkiti 08-23-2023 06:57 AM

August 23

"First things first" is a simple slogan we can use to determine our priorities.

There is always a sensible order for handling whatever we need to do today. Obsessing about all our responsibilities at once makes us anxious. No doubt we have all stared at stacks of work or sat at the kitchen table mulling over our "to do" list, immobilized by the quantity of work to be done. Consequently, the first time we hear the slogan "First things first," we wonder how it can be applied to our lives.

We may need to ask a sponsor for help in prioritizing our responsibilities at first. It's not easy to focus on them one at a time. But there is always a natural order to handling our responsibilities. We simply lack the objectivity to see it.

Once we have experienced setting priorities and the relief it gives us from thinking of all our tasks at once, we'll count on the slogan "First things first." It will bring balance to our lives every day.

I need to do many jobs today. To keep productive and sane, I'll use the slogan "First things first."

Today's reading is from the book A Life of My Own: Meditations on Hope and Acceptance*

bluidkiti 08-24-2023 05:45 AM

August 24

And don't just ask for one mercy. Let them flood in.

~Rumi

Perhaps we've allowed feelings of disappointment or discouragement to take root in us. We may have decided to settle for less than our dreams, blaming the past or other people for our present dissatisfaction. We may cling to the belief that if we give up, we will somehow be taken care of. We must not give in to self-doubt or cynicism and misname it "acceptance." If we dream of pursuing education, meaningful work, a loving relationship, creative expression, spiritual practice, or something else we deeply desire, we can cultivate hope as we take steps toward our goal.

Twelve Step recovery reminds us that while we don't have the power to change others, we can affect our own lives by changing our attitudes and by taking actions. Faith in a Higher Power and the willingness to do our part are foundations for change. Open-mindedness, persistence, and patience can bring us closer to understanding and honoring ourselves, at any age, in any aspect of our lives.

Today, I see doors that are open; I walk through them with faith in my life's abundance.

Today's reading is from the book Glad Day

bluidkiti 08-25-2023 06:42 AM

August 25

I've learned that the more vulnerable I allow myself to be, the more in control of myself I really am.

~Anonymous

Many of us feel that we can only show our strong, confident side. We believe the face we have to show to the world should always be one of politeness, perfection, calm, strength, and control.

While it is certainly good and often appropriate to be in control, calm, and strong, there is another side to all of us - that part of us that feels needy becomes frightened, has doubts, and gets angry. That part of us that needs care, love, and reassurance that things will be okay. Expressing these needs makes us vulnerable and less than perfect, but this side needs our acceptance too.

Allowing ourselves to be vulnerable will help us build lasting relationships. Sharing our vulnerabilities helps us feel close to people and helps others feel close to us. It helps us grow in self-love and self-acceptance. It helps us become healing agents. It allows us to become whole and accessible to others.

Today, I will allow myself to be vulnerable with others when it's safe and appropriate to do so.

Today's reading is from the book The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations on Codependency*

bluidkiti 08-26-2023 05:47 AM

August 26

Every mountain and hill shall be made low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain.

~From Isaiah 40:4

Recovery can be compared to climbing a hill. And as with all skills, the more we practice the better we become. There comes a time in the course of recovery when we view a hill that once would have caused us to quake in our boots or to quit altogether. But using the skills achieved by working an intelligent, consistent program, we can simply take it in stride.

When we came into the program, we were asked if we were willing to go to any lengths to win our freedom from bondage. As we grew and developed a positive response, all sorts of things became possible that at one time were not. We are often told in the program that "the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time." We don't have to do it all at once. All recovery is made inch by inch.

Now we can look at yonder hill and accept it as just another obstacle to be conquered - and not a very big obstacle at that.

I am amazed and encouraged by the gains I've already made. Today's challenges do not intimidate me.

Today's reading is from the book Days of Healing, Days of Joy: Daily Meditations for Adult Children*

bluidkiti 08-27-2023 06:46 AM

August 27

Progress, not perfection.

~Alcoholics Anonymous Slogan

We don't expect our lives to be perfect. We don't expect ourselves to be perfect. We just want to stop the insanity of addiction and begin to live lives that make sense.

We don't expect to be perfect, but most of us do want to be good. We can actually live up to that goal now that we are sober. It takes a lot of work, and we are always seeing new ways to improve. Working the Steps helps us learn a great deal about how we can be better people. Having the love and support of our recovery friends and the guidance of our sponsor gives us the strength and help we need.

In fact, the work of being a good person brings many rewards. We invite spiritual teachers into our lives, we make true friends, we gain respect for ourselves, and we find that others respect us, too.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me see today how I can pitch in to make things better in some way at work, at home, or for someone who needs a bit of kindness.

Today's Action

What's one small thing I am willing to do in the next twenty-four hours to bring a bit of goodness to a situation? Call a friend who needs support? Bring flowers to work to brighten the day? Take time to really visit with a child? I will make a decision to do one special thing - and do it!

Today's reading is from the book God Grant Me: More Daily Meditations from the Authors of Keep It Simple*

bluidkiti 08-28-2023 05:28 AM

August 28

For nothing can be sole or whole
That has not been rent.

~W.B. Yeats

The power of Step Five is its ability to shatter our secrets. Once we share our inventory with another person, with the help and grace of our Higher Power, we acknowledge our membership in the human race. As our honesty strips away the charade of who we were, the dishonesty, isolation, fear, grandiosity, and self-will of our addiction begin to fade.

It is healing to talk with another person. We simply can't accomplish the same thing by ourselves. Even though we may be afraid to share our inventory, with God's help we can trust the effort and let go of the outcome.

Every admission we make, and every secret we tell during our recovery will reflect who and where we are at that moment. Telling our secrets helps us give them up. Asking for help acknowledges our need for others and helps us let go of the past.

Higher Power, please help me find the humility and honesty to hold back nothing in my admitting to you, myself, and another person the exact nature of the harm I've caused myself and others.

Today's reading is from the book Answers in the Heart

bluidkiti 08-29-2023 06:06 AM

August 29

A Selfish Program

A person shows their true self by how much they need other people.

~Anonymous

What giving we have discovered in our fellowship! From the very first meeting, we received an outstretched hand that offered us help. People gave freely and asked nothing in return. We, who had known so much taking, could hardly believe what we experienced. It just didn't seem real.

The reality is no put-on. There is a spirit of selfless fellowship in our program. But the truth is that those who are giving are also keeping. The gem they are holding onto is their recovery. Only those who give away what they have found can keep it.

Every time we share with another human being, we add something to our spiritual bank account, allowing us to draw on it when extra demands are made upon our courage. In sharing our burdens, they become lighter.

Imagine people saving their lives by giving them away! Oh, that I can only be so selfish!

Today's reading is from the book Easy Does It: A Book of Daily Twelve Step Meditations*

bluidkiti 08-30-2023 06:26 AM

August 30

There is no greater joy than to see my baby's face break out in a smile. It reminds me of the significance we have in each other's lives.

~Mary Larson

We have heard, over and over, that there are no accidents in this life. But what does that really mean? Can it mean that the pain we felt when a special relationship ended was intentional? Can it mean that the illness of a friend was God's will? Can it mean the promotion we failed to get was God's plan too? We can spend a lot of valuable time trying to figure out the real reason behind any set of circumstances, and we'll only be spinning our wheels.

How we respond to these situations is what causes the pain or confusion. When we learn to trust that God initiates our experiences, we will begin to know freedom from fear and confusion.

Every day we will have opportunities to increase our understanding of God's presence in our lives. The smiles we give and get are not accidental; they are part of the divine plan. So may be the chaos. It's how we handle the chaos that matters.

Every person I meet today is in my life by design. What I give to or learn from others helps each of us to grow.

Today's reading is from the book A Woman's Spirit: More meditations for Women*